Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer Update


Summer school ends tomorrow. I'm so thankful that it will be over. Teaching summer school once a decade is enough. Still, it was a good experience in many ways. First, I was forced out of my comfort zone teaching a subject I barely remember to a population of students I rarely see on campus. I was forced to work harder than I have worked in a very long time, and that is a very good thing indeed. I reminded myself that I am a competent and dynamic teacher, but not perfect. It's impossible to meet all the needs of any group of students in 11-12 days; but we made some progress. With any luck a few of the students made some progress towards their goal of passing the CAHSEE.

Teaching summer school also gave me something to do while I waited for the house we are trying to purchase to close escrow (it still hasn't closed as of this writing). Without teaching to occupy my time I can only imagine the trouble I could have created for myself. Now I have three weeks until school starts back up again. Plenty of time to pack and move (I hope.)

But first I drive out to Phoenix tomorrow to pick up my daughter who has been staying with my brother and sister in-law for a few weeks. It was 108 here today, and 116 in Phoenix. Should be a fun car trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment