Monday, September 7, 2009

District 9

I rarely get to go out to see a movie. But I took advantage of the 3 day weekend and went out last night to see District 9 on the recommendation of some of my students. What an amazing film. The special effects are top notch, and you never doubt for a moment that the alien "prawns" are not actually on set with the human actors. The film takes on the style of a documentary and the performances are believable and very authentic. District 9 is an R rated movie for language and violent, and yes it is very violent. But the story is so much more. Through science fiction the film makers challenge the audience to take a good hard look inwardly at how we treat each other, and especially those "aliens" in our world. I felt the movie was excellent, very well made, and thought provoking. I strongly recommend seeing District 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment