Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Long Obedience in the Same Direction


Elvis Costello is my all-time favorite recording artist. Last year he started a show on Sundance Channel called Spectacle: Elvis Costello with... This season Bono and The Edge from U2 were on as guests. In the course of the interview Bono mentioned Nietzsche's quote about obedience:

"The essential thing ‘in heaven and earth’ is. . . that there should be a long obedience in the same direction; there thereby results, and has always resulted in the long run, something which has made life worth living."


As I was surfing around the web trying to figure out what the heck that was all about, I came across this book by Eugene H. Peterson, "A Long Obedience In The Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society," (ISBN: 0830822577). So I asked my wife to give it to me as a Christmas present.

Mr. Peterson examines Psalms 120-134, The Songs of Ascents, and applies them to our lives today. The book was published during my freshman year in high school, but the message is timely and clear. Bono and the Edge must have read Mr. Peterson's book also, because the rumor is that the next U2 album will be called Songs of Ascent.

No comments:

Post a Comment